How to start Page Numbering after “Table of Contents” in MS-Office
Sometimes you might not want the page numbers shown on the first page of the document. For example, if the first page is a cover page and the second page is a table of contents, you might want the third page to show “Page 1.”
Here, i am going to show you how to do this.
To start page numbering later in your document, you first divide the document into sections and unlink them. You then display the page numbering and choose the starting value.
Steps by Step Guide:
1. Click the specific page where you want to divide or insert section. (you may click mouse cursor below the ‘Table of Content’)
2. Click Page Layout > Breaks > Next Page.
3. Double-click in Footer area (the place where you want to display page numbers). Make sure you must click on Footer area not Header. This will open the Design tab under Header & Footer Tools.
4. Click Link to Previous to turn it off and unlink the header or footer from the previous section.
Note: Headers and footers are linked separately, so if your page number is in the header, turn off linking for headers. If your page number is in the footer, turn off linking for footers.
5. Click Page Number > Format Page Numbers to open the Page Number Format dialog box.
6. To start numbering with 1, click Start at, and type 1 (otherwise, Word will automatically apply the actual page number).
7. Click Page Number and then pick a location and a style. For example, click Bottom of Page and then choose the design you like.